Back to top
Places to eat
This area is surrounded by restaurants. Some of our patients from out of state combine a culinary expedition with a clinic visit. We are happy to provide suggestions.
Affordable eats close to the clinic -- affordable around here means about $10-$15/head for lunch.
- On Erie, there is a TGIF next to the clinic. Perhaps not the most kid friendly though. Not our favorite for food.
- The Northwestern Memorial Hospital has several "fast food" style restaurants. We favor the first floor "Beatrix" cafeteria for lunch, and the Greek restaurant on 2nd floor. Maybe $10/head here.
- Saigon Sisters are on the 2nd floor as well. About $15/head. Not much seating either.
- Potbellys on Ontario/Fairbanks across from the Marriott Fairbanks Court.
- Blaze Pizza is next door to PotBellys. On Ontario. Thin crust. about $10/head.
- California Pizza Kitchen on Ohio -- about 2 blocks down Michigan from clinic. Close to "Grand Luxe" Cafe (see below). There is also a "Shake Shack", and a few others next door to it.
- Garrett's Popcorn. 625 Michigan -- really on Ontario (These are all over the place, including in our back yard).
- M-burger (Michigan/Huron) -- we do not favor M-burger as we found a fingernail clipping in one of the burgers from this place. We advise to look elsewhere.
- Whole foods (about 4 blocks away, on Columbus/Grand). Has a large cafeteria on ground floor. This is probably the cheapest place for healthy food.
Nicer but more expensive restaurants close to the clinic. All casual.
- Bandera (535 N. Michigan, up an escalator) call ahead for reservations, don't drop in, American, Jazz at night. Stay away from the "specials". Bandera doesn't really do reservations like other restaurants do- -when you show up, then they look around for a table. Don't go if you like things to be on time.
- Beatrix (very close, in Hospital, 671 N. St. Clair). Eclectic -- seems pretty healthy, but limited selection. Not cheap. American food.
- Grand Luxe Cafe (Michigan and Ohio, eclectic) one block west and south just off Michigan. American. Quite an experience. Certainly is past it's prime. Kids might like it. Food is not its strong suit.
- Coco Pazzo Cafe (Michigan/Ontario, Italian, good and fairly fast). About two blocks away 212 E. Ohio.
- Capital Grille (St. Clair/Ontaro) Steak, good, not fast food. about $20/head for lunch.
- Eataly is just behind Nordstroms on Michigan (i.e. 2 blocks south). It has many Italian fast-food operations within a single building. Seems a little daunting, and maybe a bit too stimulating for dizzy people. The "carry-out" Pasta restaurant on the first floor is fast and good but selection is very limited.
- Lao Sze Chuan (520 N Michigan). Good, hot chinese food, a bit pricey.
- Purple Pig -- next to Nordstroms on Michigan (500 N Michigan). If you like pork. Stimulating. Not so good for kids. This place is very trendy and loud.
- The Publican (837 Fulton Market, about a 10 minute Cab ride). Good food/Beer. Unique place. Do not try to walk from nearly anywhere.
- Sayat Nova Armenian restaurant (157 E Ohio -- i.e. 2 blocks). Good for Kebabs/shrimp platter. Never that busy, and very nice people.
- We do not favor the noodles/sushi restaurants across from the hospital, or any of the "hotel" restaurants around Northwestern Memorial Hospital. In their favor though is that they are usually empty.
- There are several deep dish pizza places quite close -- Uno, Due, Gino, Lou Malinoti. These places are all very slow as they cook to order. If you plan ahead though, you can pick up.
There are also some "heavy duty" gourmet restaurants fairly close to the clinic. These are all formal, slow, and $$$$$.
- Les Nomades (222 E Ontario). French. About a block away. This is a "once a year" type restaurant. A little stuffy. OK, very stuffy.
- Shanghai Terrace (108 E Superior, in Peninsula hotel). Chinese. Good spot. The cucumber salad is cool. The Peninsula also has a small cafe, that is pretty good as well.
- Spiaggia (within walking distance, near Bloomingdales). Fine dining. OK food. Not very busy. Do not really recommend.
Back to top